If you’re looking for an easy way to decorate for Halloween, these mummy jar lights are ideal.
Plus they’re made using old jars, making sure you’re getting into the spooky spirit whilst saving the planet!
Check out how to make them below:
MUMMY JAR LIGHTS MAKING TIME
These lights are so simple that they require minimal time to make.
Estimated making time: 5 minutes per jar light.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A MUMMY JAR LIGHT
To make these lights you will need:
- An old jar (cleaned thoroughly)
- 1 roll of bandages
- PVA glue
- A paintbrush
- Googly eyes
- A pair of scissors
- An LED tealight
HOW TO MAKE MUMMY JAR LIGHTS
1. Paint PVA glue in a strip along the outside on the jar using the paintbrush.
2. Firmly press the edge of the bandage into the glue and wrap it around the jar until the jar is mostly covered. (The more times you wrap it, the less light will shine through).
3. Once you’ve wrapped the bandage around the jar a few times, cut the end with a scissors.
4. Tuck the end of the bandage underneath the bandage that is wrapped around the jar.
5. Gently pull the edges of the bandages to give it a more withered look.
6. Paint the back of a googly eye with PVA glue and press firmly onto the jar. Repeat with another googly eye.
7. Place an LED tealight in the jar (switched on).
Switch off the lights and enjoy your new mummy jar light!
MUMMY JAR LIGHT VARIATIONS
Some ideas to mix up your mummy jar lights include:
- Try tea staining your bandages before using them to give them a more rustic, rotting look (obviously let the bandages dry before using them!).
- We used large yellow googly eyes, but try using different colours or if you have lots of jars using a colour for each jar.
- Use other colours of tea lights to create different glows, such as green.
If you liked this tutorial, please share it!
Or check out our other Halloween ideas, such as this easy spider jar light!