Using lip balm is an easy way to keep your lips hydrated in the cold months. However, lots of commercial lip balms can be expensive and have very little moisturising properties. Not to mention they are full of harsh chemicals.
This DIY glitter lip balm is perfect to keep your lips hydrated in the colder months. It takes hardly any time at all to make, and only contains 5 ingredients (which are really cheap). And it tastes amazing!
Check out how to make it below:
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THE DIY GLITTER LIP BALM
To make this glitter lip balm, you will need:
- A bowl to mix the ingredients in
- A spoon to mix the ingredients
- A pin to pierce the vitamin E capsule
- An airtight container to store the lip balm
INGREDIENTS IN THE DIY GLITTER LIP BALM
This glitter lip balm only uses 5 ingredients, which are:
- Beetroot (1 teaspoon of juice). You can either buy beetroot juice, or use the juice that comes with beetroots in the packaging.
- Coconut oil (1 teaspoon, melted). Use pure, extra virgin raw coconut oil for the most benefits.
- Vitamin E (1 capsule)
- Vanilla essence (2 drops)
- Edible glitter
DIY GLITTER LIP BALM INGREDIENTS BENEFITS
Beetroot juice is full of antioxidants, which help to prevent fine lines and make the lips seem fuller. It also contains Vitamin C, helping to even out the skin tone and improve skin discolouration.
Coconut oil has excellent moisturising properties, which helps to soften the lips and prevent cracking. It’s also anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, which means it helps to soothe the lips and get rid of bacteria. Coconut oil is light, so it stops the lips from feeling greasy.
This vitamin helps to stop your lips from looking dry as it restores lost moisture. Vitamin E helps to prevents fine lines on the lips as when it is absorbed deep into the skin it encourages the production of collagen, which is important for elasticity. It also contains antioxidants, helping to protect from sun damage.
Vanilla has anti-inflammatory properties, which help to soothe the lips, and is also antibacterial.
Makes your lips shimmer! And is safe to eat.
HOW TO MAKE THE DIY GLITTER LIP BALM
- Pour 1 teaspoon of beetroot juice into a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of melted coconut oil.
- Pierce the vitamin E capsule using a pin, and squeeze the contents into the bowl.
- Add a couple of drops of vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle some edible glitter on top. The more you use, the more it’ll shimmer! Just don’t over do it.
- Mix the ingredients using a spoon. You want to do all these steps quickly or the coconut oil will start to solidify; you can reheat the mixture to make it easier to mix together.
Once the ingredients are well mixed, transfer to an airtight container and leave to set in the fridge, stirring occasionally to make sure there is no separation. Then use your glitter lip balm frequently for the best results!
Please note: as this uses food, it is best to use the lip balm within a week to avoid it going off and to store it in the fridge as it has coconut oil in it. It will look brown rather than pink when it goes out of date. If this is the case, do not use.
If you liked this recipe, please share it on Pinterest and check out our other beauty tips!